So here are my Top 10 Things to remember when heading back to uni or you’re starting unversity fresh!
I’ve just moved into my new flat for my final year of university, 4 years! My Lord, it’s been absolutely awesome though. I wouldnt change anything about it. I am just excited to graduate now!
I was supposed to post this blog post a little earlier but alas from my flight from Budapest my ears didn’t pop properly. So now I have an ear infection and a lil bit of vertigo because of it, so I’m more dizzy than I am concious!
But I’ve percevered today! Especially as I start my new Job tomorrow too. So today I’ve got shit done, including this post for you all! Can spend my whole week wallowing in self pity.
So WITHOUT further ado, here are my Top 10 Things to Remember When starting or Going back to University!
- Get Organised – folders, stationary, books, your time table. Know it learn it live by it. I always find that being organised makes everything SO much easier! Plus when you go into a lecture or start doing coursework or seminar work and you’re organised it’s just that much easier to get started and get your head down! Something which at Uni can be quite a challenge due to there being a lot of distractions.
- Do Not Panic – I had to swear by this saying in first year. Just do not panic. It is solvable, you can do it. Even if it’s something you’ve never come across before, don’t panic about it. Uni is probably one of the most relaxed but also the most stressful places, but you do not need to panic. Help is always at hand.
- Be Positive, Be You – it’s the best you can be! I know a lot of people go back to uni or start uni thinking “oh Lord this isn’t for me” and do you know, if it isn’t for you? That’s no problem! But as I have said in a previous blog post, university is what you make of it! If you go into the experience being a negative Nelly, like I did, it doesn’t feel like it gets better. I considered dropping out. Now I look back and think why I thought that I will never know. Like I said, it’s what you make of it.
- Keep on making friends / Make friends & socialise! – You are quite literally THROWN into this at uni. Your flatmates are ideally your first point of contact. I don’t know about anyone else, but my friends I made at University are my friends for life. No matter how far apart we all are, because we are all from literal opposite ends of the country. They will always be my faves! Now I’m back for my final year, most of my friends are graduating next week (couldn’t be more proud!!!) And then they are all moving away, so I’ve got to remember how to make friends again. But your whole life you’re making friends so it won’t take too long!
- Budget! – DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON STUPID SHIT. If you don’t need it don’t buy it. I was a PRO at buying unnecessary things and my overdraft was my best friend. Don’t be me. Plan your food shops and like I said if you don’t need it, don’t buy it. Only take set amounts of money our with on nights out, don’t get happy clappy with your contactless because it will happen and you will wake up the next morning wondering if you bought a horse.
- Don’t forget a home comfort – For me, when I move Into a new place I have got to have a little home comfort that makes me think of being back in my home town. For me it’s a small hanging sign that says; “Life’s A Beach” as I live by the beach! It’s followed me to every house all 4 years so far and will continue to do so!
- Uni help services are your friend – if you are struggling with your work your lecturers are there to help you. Reach out to them. If you are struggling with your mental health the university health centre and welfare will help you. Reach out to them. If you’re Struggling to find rescources for your essays the library staff will help you. Reach out to them. You have a larger issue you want to discuss with the university. REACH OUT, they will not hesitate at all to help you with any of your needs!
- Vodka isn’t the answer, but it’s worth a shot – This one speaks for itself really, GET ON THE SESH. But that does also bring us to our next point;
- Learn your limits – I don’t think I need to say to much here other than don’t be that friend who needs to get their stomach pumped.
- Enjoy it! – Uni is an awesome place, a huge step into adult life and responsibilities with a little bit of heavy drinking on the side! Uni will always be the best years of my life, I don’t doubt it for a second. I mean until I get married n have babies but that’s a looooong time coming. Enjoy your time, you’ll be there for a while! Why do anything else BUT enjoy it?!
So these are the My Top 10 Tips! I hope they give some sort of help and insight into the joys of getting back too or starting university!
Here’s to my final year! Bring it on!